In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Mark Schaefer. Mark is a globally recognized speaker, educator, business consultant, and author of books such as KNOWN, Marketing Rebellion, and his newest book — Cumulative Advantage: How to Build Momentum for your Ideas, Business, and Life Against All Odds.
The world is noisy, and standing out today is difficult. At its essence, marketing today is about answering one question: “How can we be heard?” If we don’t already have advantages like a big powerful website or years and years of content, how can we build momentum? What can we do to give us more hope to stand out?
Mark Schaefer set out to answer these questions. The world is stacked against us in big ways and small, and in this episode, Mark shares new ideas to help us build the unstoppable momentum needed to rise above these barricades.
Questions I Ask Mark Schaefer:
- [1:14] You told me about your idea for the new book and the sort of impetus for it was this, this research that you had found from the sixties called the Matthew Effect. Can you unpack that a little and tell us what exactly led you to write your most recent book, Cumulative Advantage?
- [4:36] You use Tim Ferris’s story as a case study in your book. At one point, Tim Ferris was a nobody — was there something that he did that made things tip in his favor?
- [7:02] What are some of these ‘seams’ as you call them that opens up and allows new players to run in?
- [8:56] How do we start looking for tears in the status quo?
- [10:23] In your book, you talk about once you find the tear in the seam, you then have to blow it up. Does this come down to resources or luck?
- [15:12] What is constancy of purpose?
More About Mark Schaefer:
- His book: Cumulative Advantage: How to Build Momentum for your Ideas, Business, and Life Against All Odds.
- The free resources & study guide: https://businessesgrow.com/
- His podcast: The Marketing Companion
More About The Certified Marketing Manager Program Powered by Duct Tape Marketing
- Check it out at https://ducttapemarketing.com/certified-marketing-manager/
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by Monday.com.
There are a lot of tools out there to help companies get work done. We recently switched over to a tool called Monday, and we love it. Monday is more than just a project management tool. You can use it in many ways to run your entire business, marketing, sales, task management, even recruiting, and certainly project management. Check it out yourself here.